The things that stick with you

RVF.
GenericPlayer

The things that stick with you

Postby GenericPlayer » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:54 pm

I played on PernMush a long time ago - 10 years ago now that I've thought about it. And that time of my PernMUing was probably one of the best. I was 16, I was young, I could stay up all night and play with Americans. I played R'layn and a few far less active alts (one of whom I'm sure had a dragon written very grudgingly for them seeing as it was half the length of all the others in that clutch, but hey ho).

So when the PM/NC split happened and I had no idea what was going on, and I later found out some of the driving people behind it who had founded NC apparently didn't like me, had told people not to let my bronze catch their golds and things, I was hurt. And though that hurt has long since faded, I'm still baffled as to why. Was I annoying? Did I hang around with the wrong crowd? I don't know. I was 16 for goodness sake, and although I'm now on the other side of the equation and playing with teenagers, yes it's frustrating sometimes if they can be immature,but they're teenagers. They'll grow up and mature and start to act differently.

All I did was have a good time playing, make friends, and just enjoy my teenage years. Nowadays I don't have the time to MU any more, but I still play in the Pern universe, on forums now, all those years later. Had I not been apparently unwanted on NC, and joined when the split happened, would I still be MUing? Who knows.

I just think about it sometimes and wonder if what I found out was true. It certainly seemed true at the time, and I can't help but look at NC and wonder what the heck was going on with those founding members.

Just something I wanted to get off my chest at 5am.
Last edited by GenericPlayer on Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aya
Site Admin

Re: The things that stick with you

Postby Aya » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:05 pm

For the record, from what I know, no one told anyone not to let their bronze catch their gold. What did happen was you complained about the flight's time not being considerate to GMT (I think that flight was at 3AM for you and you woke up for it) on the Ista Weyr channel that Zahava was still actually on (she used to be assistant Headwoman at Ista and retained her chat knot when she Impressed at Fort) on when Ciath rose at Fort. I don't know if you were aware of that. I imagine that had a lot to do with not winning the Fort flight. I'm sorry you felt this way. No one hated you as far as I know.

Aya
Site Admin

Postby Aya » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:13 pm

As for the reference to what I imagine is Samialla's dragon. I was not running HRW at the time and there was, literally, no quality control. No one went through to edit dragons to make sure the lengths matched and it was generally just inconsiderate all around. The way dragons used to be written at High Reaches Weyr on PernMUSH prior to me stepping up was people would write the dragons they wanted to write and then they'd all go into a pool to be matched up as best as possible to what the candidates wanted.

Did I mention [strike]inconsiderate semi-clusterfuck[/strike]* I'm sorry you felt that way. If I had any control, that would not have happened.

* I guess I should amend that to, different time, different ways. By then most other areas of the game had moved towards tailoring dragons to Impressees and that was not happening at HRW.

Moro

Postby Moro » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:47 am

The peak of my MUing was around a similar time (2006/2007) and I was of a similar age (16-18) on the same game. I still have very fond memories of that time and spent a lot of yesterday reading through some old logs from HRW at that time and feeling nostalgic. I definitely did some dumb shit (mostly trying very poorly thought out alts and fizzling out when the idea was garbage) and I wouldn't be surprised if there was some blurring of OOC/IC in my earlier days of playing. When NC split, I tried to go along, both with an alt and my old character but never really felt that connection I did from PernMUSH. I had never found the NC admins/area heads to be a problem, nor did I find them to be a problem when they were playing on PernMUSH. My best guess would just be where I was IRL didn't lend itself with committing to the game to the degree that I was as engaged as I was in the past, or perhaps seeing the past through rose-colored glasses and having expectations that can't be met by the lower player counts.

I don't think I RPed with you much (once or twice if I can remember correctly - you have a single log on your LJ that I played in, and a couple with an alt I am embarrassed to admit was mine) and I don't recall anything but enjoying it. I think it's best to look back on the enjoyment you got from it all and not attribute malice where they may have been none.

Also @Aya - Thanks for putting up with me at HRW for those years. My posing was pretty rough around the edges, and my character was pretty dumb at times. I really admired how you played Satiet back then and always found your scenes and the plot we had going on back then super engaging.

Sorry for all the positivity on RVF. I'll try to be more ranty next time.

GenericPlayer

Postby GenericPlayer » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:53 am

Aya wrote:For the record, from what I know, no one told anyone not to let their bronze catch their gold. What did happen was you complained about the flight's time not being considerate to GMT (I think that flight was at 3AM for you and you woke up for it) on the Ista Weyr channel that Zahava was still actually on (she used to be assistant Headwoman at Ista and retained her chat knot when she Impressed at Fort) on when Ciath rose at Fort. I don't know if you were aware of that. I imagine that had a lot to do with not winning the Fort flight. I'm sorry you felt this way. No one hated you as far as I know.

I don't think Talurith ever chased Ciath - he did, apparently, chase a HRW gold, Nabirmeth from what I can find online. In any case, I don't have the raw logs any more and it's so long ago I have no memory of what I said on knots. I probably did have a grouch about getting up in the middle of the night - it wasn't enjoyable, but I did it to have fun RP times with my friends. If that had an effect on things, fair enough. The only knowledge I have is people (can't remember who now), telling me that some leadership people were telling gold riders not to let Talurith catch. Maybe that's wrong, I don't know. But being told that left a bad taste in my mouth regarding PernMUSH and NorCon.

GenericPlayer

Postby GenericPlayer » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:04 pm

Moro wrote:The peak of my MUing was around a similar time (2006/2007) and I was of a similar age (16-18) on the same game. I still have very fond memories of that time and spent a lot of yesterday reading through some old logs from HRW at that time and feeling nostalgic. I definitely did some dumb shit (mostly trying very poorly thought out alts and fizzling out when the idea was garbage) and I wouldn't be surprised if there was some blurring of OOC/IC in my earlier days of playing. When NC split, I tried to go along, both with an alt and my old character but never really felt that connection I did from PernMUSH. I had never found the NC admins/area heads to be a problem, nor did I find them to be a problem when they were playing on PernMUSH. My best guess would just be where I was IRL didn't lend itself with committing to the game to the degree that I was as engaged as I was in the past, or perhaps seeing the past through rose-colored glasses and having expectations that can't be met by the lower player counts.

I don't think I RPed with you much (once or twice if I can remember correctly - you have a single log on your LJ that I played in, and a couple with an alt I am embarrassed to admit was mine) and I don't recall anything but enjoying it. I think it's best to look back on the enjoyment you got from it all and not attribute malice where they may have been none.

Also @Aya - Thanks for putting up with me at HRW for those years. My posing was pretty rough around the edges, and my character was pretty dumb at times. I really admired how you played Satiet back then and always found your scenes and the plot we had going on back then super engaging.

Hah yeah, I saw the log I had with you on R'layn's LJ and got excited, though it was just a flight we were both involved in. I have no idea who your alt was, but I do remember always enjoying my scenes on PernMUSH. Feel ya on the rose-tinted glasses, but I wouldn't have stuck around for a few years if I hadn't had fun, huh?

Aya
Site Admin

Postby Aya » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:29 pm

GenericPlayer wrote:
Aya wrote:For the record, from what I know, no one told anyone not to let their bronze catch their gold. What did happen was you complained about the flight's time not being considerate to GMT (I think that flight was at 3AM for you and you woke up for it) on the Ista Weyr channel that Zahava was still actually on (she used to be assistant Headwoman at Ista and retained her chat knot when she Impressed at Fort) on when Ciath rose at Fort. I don't know if you were aware of that. I imagine that had a lot to do with not winning the Fort flight. I'm sorry you felt this way. No one hated you as far as I know.

I don't think Talurith ever chased Ciath - he did, apparently, chase a HRW gold, Nabirmeth from what I can find online. In any case, I don't have the raw logs any more and it's so long ago I have no memory of what I said on knots. I probably did have a grouch about getting up in the middle of the night - it wasn't enjoyable, but I did it to have fun RP times with my friends. If that had an effect on things, fair enough. The only knowledge I have is people (can't remember who now), telling me that some leadership people were telling gold riders not to let Talurith catch. Maybe that's wrong, I don't know. But being told that left a bad taste in my mouth regarding PernMUSH and NorCon.

I don't even have to imagine how you felt as things that were said to me when I was 16 have still lingered in my memory (among so many other useless things) and I'm 35 now. I'm sorry this has festered particularly for you all these years and you were told something that from what I know, was untrue.

You chased in Tavrie's, Nolee's, and Zahava's flight. You may have chased in others, but flights like Olwyn's was pretty much pre-determined from the start for her ICSO, Gr'din, to win.

For Tavrie's, she was encouraged to pick 1) someone out of Weyr, 2) someone active, and 3) someone not her ICSO (who was M'wen at the time if I remember correctly). Most junior goldriders at the time were encouraged to pick someone out of Weyr because there was the thought that it would bring a new element of play into the Weyr that doesn't already exist, make areas less insular, and help bolster candidate applications. I do remember it came down to R'layn and S'kris and that she went with S'kris as you had idled Samialla and there were concerns whether you'd stay active at High Reaches to play. I'm not sure this is something most players think about, that a lot of people know who their alts are and that how/what their alts do can have impacts across the game. I imagine many might not think this is fair. There was no vendetta in that situation. It was based on perceived activity in the end.

For Nolee's, I am positive Griere had the same encouragements of: pick someone out of Weyr, someone active, and someone not her ICSO (C'len at the time I think?). R'layn was probably automatically out of the running unless your RP was 5x better than any of the other chasers, simply because he was from Ista.

For Zahava's, I mentioned what happened there. You complained during the flight about the time being inconsiderate to GMT, and then vented on the knot after the flight that you wish you hadn't gotten up in the middle of the night to chase, and that should have been taken into consideration.

Again, I'm sorry this left a bad taste in your mouth. PernMUSH and NorCon split for reasons I think you ran straight into: inactive wizards who would show up periodically to put their foot down and then disappear when we needed them to 1) add dragons to the DTU, 2) update the news files, 3) fix +time, 4) fix general code, 5) bring the game up in a timely fashion and not have months long down times. As an administrator, this was incredibly frustrating to deal with on many levels, as well as the monthly wizmeets utilized to shame areas that the wizards felt were not properly obedient. We went months with plots that needed wizard approval just sitting there waiting, and as you might remember, weeks and weeks with the game being down with no word on when it'd come up other than 'soon'. These were the major reasons the people who started NorCon split. We were tired of waiting for things to change, things that had been asked for for over 2 years in many cases, and waiting on TooMUSH.

Aya
Site Admin

Postby Aya » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:33 pm

Moro wrote:Also @Aya - Thanks for putting up with me at HRW for those years. My posing was pretty rough around the edges, and my character was pretty dumb at times. I really admired how you played Satiet back then and always found your scenes and the plot we had going on back then super engaging.

I won't lie, I could have been more patient with someone who was clearly a new player, but after a few months, you thrived, particularly when playing with R'hin and Tavrie and that was pretty awesome to see. There were times I wasn't quite sure if you were differentiating between Satiet, the character, and the player, and that was frustrating as a player cause there's only so much I could do to make the distinction clear, but I may have been reading your reactions wrong.

I was really happy to see you again on NorCon some years later as Kesil (I think?), and enjoyed every scene between him and Iolene. :)

Moro

Postby Moro » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:10 pm

Aya wrote:I won't lie, I could have been more patient with someone who was clearly a new player, but after a few months, you thrived, particularly when playing with R'hin and Tavrie and that was pretty awesome to see. There were times I wasn't quite sure if you were differentiating between Satiet, the character, and the player, and that was frustrating as a player cause there's only so much I could do to make the distinction clear, but I may have been reading your reactions wrong.

I was really happy to see you again on NorCon some years later as Kesil (I think?), and enjoyed every scene between him and Iolene. :)

I think what you said to Generic was really spot on with regards to the horrible ability to recall moments from the awkward teen years with the utmost clarity.

I completely understand with regards to new players. The number of times I RPed for 2-3 hours with someone only using say, then having them never come back was far too many. I was also such an awkward kid back then, probably didn't make it any easier (then again, I'm a delightfully awkward adult now, so...). R'hin gets all of the kudos I can possibly heap upon a player, the patience showed blows my mind and the period between R'hin becoming Weyrleader and NC splitting off was just so great and such a good memory for me. Tavrie and R'hin both forced me to become a better writer and player in general and I owe them lots of thanks.

I would say that you probably weren't reading into my reactions wrong. At the time (emphasizing this point), I found you and the other HRW leadership pretty intimidating and impenetrable, and that trying to interact OOC would just feel like wasting your time. Considering your responsibilities and alts, I probably was. What I said before still stands though - you were a big part of keeping HRW going and played Satiet wonderfully.

I also don't even remember playing Kesil but the logs look like my writing and is vaguely familiar. It's weird to have a blank spot in my memory like that.

Return to “Rants, Vents, and Flames”