Are pern games spread out too thin?

General discussions of games, players, ideas, and Pern canon.

Are pern games spread out too thin?

Postby Newbie » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:39 am

Hey everyone,

It's been years since I last played a pern game (probably nearing 10!) and recently I've been wanting to dive back into RPing. I started going back to the games I remembered from when I played (HT, pernworld, etc) but I've noticed that the player base for most is really small. Since it seems like each game only has a handful of truly active players I was wondering why there hasn't been a merger into 1 big game. It just seems like it'd be more fun to have everyone on the same server so that there'd be a better flow of ideas, more RP options, etc. I know each game has it's own take/feel but at the end of the day they all share the same core, right? Has this every been considered? Am I missing something?

GenericPlayer

Re: Are pern games spread out too thin?

Postby GenericPlayer » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:15 am

I imagine it's because people want different things from their games, and having everyone together on the same game just wouldn't work. For me personally, there are Pern MU*ers I want to avoid, so I played on games where they weren't present.

But I don't PernMU any more, only forum RP because it suits me better, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Zrae

Postby Zrae » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:54 pm

What GenericPlayer said, plus having only one game severely limits opportunities. There can only be so many Master Crafters/Weyrlingmasters/goldriders/Lord Holders/pirate ship captains - some of this can be fixed by having multiple PC areas, but not all of it, and even then people like to have different flavors. There is actually significant overlap on the games, I think you can even find people who play actively at all three of the "big" active games (HT/NC/PW, with VP inactive and 2P closed I think they may be the only ones left) and enjoy their experiences at them all because the "flavor" of RP is very different.

M*ing only has a handful of active players overall. I really would be willing to bet that a lot of the populace of Pern M*s are actually the same active players at all three or major overlap therein. And I actually think that's a positive; it's great to be able to have lots of different experiences that everyone can have, and play similar or totally different groups of characters in different situations. At the very least, of those three active games -- one is Interval, one is Pass and one is post-AIVAS, all of which make for very changed environments and some players like a combination of different options. So while there are a bunch of reasons not to combine games, I also think that even if there were to become only one Pern M* in existence, the activity levels wouldn't change. If anything they'd get slightly smaller because you'd lose the people who only had alts on the other one or two games and not on that third one.

lifeiscolorful

Postby lifeiscolorful » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:38 pm

GenericPlayer got it in one.

HT gives me that classic PERN experience. PernWorld lets me get into some of the Post AVIS stuff, and NC is such a tight knit community that I just feel enveloped the moment I walk in. (Speaking as someone who does play on all three!)

The feel of each place is really unique, and I love each to death.

Moro

Postby Moro » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:09 pm

I have definitely found each game to have its own feel which appeals to each player differently. I think it was entirely youthful misplaced nostalgia but the old PernMUSH was always the one that brought me back and none of the other servers got my attention (back when I played) for more than a few months.

Now I find myself wanting to get back into MU* based Pern games, but I don't even know if there is enough activity these days for it to be worth it.

lifeiscolorful

Postby lifeiscolorful » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:01 pm

I can almost always find RP on HT, and average 3-4 scenes a week, which is pretty awesome. We may not have as many players as back in the amazing days of MOOing, but if you like to RP, HT's still got it.

Caribee

Postby Caribee » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:37 pm

I find that unless one is part of the In Crowd at HT, RP is difficult to find. Curious as to others' experiences.

Idath

Postby Idath » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:21 pm

I find that unless one is part of the In Crowd at HT, RP is difficult to find. Curious as to others' experiences.

In some areas perhaps, but if I want to RP I can often find it.
"Sorry to disappoint, but I am the author neither of 'Mein Kampf' nor of 'The Protocols of the Elders of Zion.' I am only, for the last 60 years, an anti-imbecile of the first order." -Siné

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:42 pm

Caribee wrote: ...Curious as to others' experiences.

So far, I've been nothing but impressed with HT.

I'm new to the game. Haven't found anything but friendly welcome and an inclusive atmosphere. Coming from a mush background to moo wasn't bad either - many of the commands are similar. For those that weren't, both staff and players have been very helpful.

There are players who know each other well OOCly, engage in knot-banter quite a bit (I like it), have characters and alts that have intertwining stories, hence scenes to hash out, which can give the appearance of an IT-crowd, but they'll RP readily with new folks, from what I've experienced (It takes time for new character to merge with other characters' stories - so be patient!) I really haven't seen evidence of closed cliques, but I can think of other games that have or had people who tended to hang out/RP with their own few friends to exclusion of all others. Not seeing that at HT.

I've seen people set out the RP-flag on-knot or just sit out in public for whoever comes along as much as I've seen them RP with their long-termers. I've sat out in public, pinged on the RP channel for scene-age, have RP-tagged people via page, asked to set up a scene - and have never found people unresponsive. I haven't found it hard to get RP at all. I've found both serious and humorous-light scenes or a refreshing mix of dark and light, tongue-in-cheek, dry wit. They run some pretty awesome RP-challenges, have lots of RP suggestions on the wiki that help get people together too!

I know the game has had (fairly) recent changes and has a lot of new-comers, which may help? But the core long-term HTers seem to be invested in reaching out to new players. And to be honest - I don't expect them have to do that, because in the end, I'm responsible for how much RP I get. ;)

Caribee

Postby Caribee » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:39 am

FTR I've been on HT off and on since 1992.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:57 pm

Okay? You asked for others' experiences. You got mine. ;p

Caribee

Postby Caribee » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:58 am

@Quicksilver I was trying to provide context.
I'm glad you're having a good time at HT, may it continue.

Return to “Constructive Discussion”