It has been X number of years, what keeps you playing Pern?

General discussions of games, players, ideas, and Pern canon.
Wyborne

It has been X number of years, what keeps you playing Pern?

Postby Wyborne » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:09 pm

So this is something that has been on my mind recently, as I've listened to other players talk about various games. So I wanted to ask the player base at large. After however many years of playing what keeps drawing you back to playing Pern, despite whatever problems you run into?

Edit: Re: Poppet. Both! The particular medium, and the genre itself.
Last edited by Wyborne on Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poppet

Re: It has been X number of years, what keeps you playing Pern?

Postby poppet » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:08 pm

I like to RP/create characters/plots, and live-RP keeps me focused (as opposed to forum RP which drags on forever and I get distracted). That's.. about it.

Edit: to note you specified Pern. Do you mean PernM* games, or? If it's Pern.. well, I'm selective in the genres I like. It's either this, a couple other small fandoms, or historical RPs. None of them are really all that large. I can find Pern RP easier, IMO.

skywaterblue

Re: It has been X number of years, what keeps you playing Pern?

Postby skywaterblue » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:41 pm

People complain about the social issues in the theme, but it's the combination of the deliberately constructed and the flaws she was unaware of that I find so fun to pick apart and exploit, since many of them are still contemporary.

I also like that Pern is a somewhat soft-sci-fi, in that there's a pretty limited amount of magic foo going on if you handwave or downplay the psychic powers. It irritates me that McCaffrey back tracked on that stuff in the last few books because science is pretty much capable of making the dragons fly on their own abilities now when you use the correct measurements.

Return to “Constructive Discussion”