Healing

General discussions of games, players, ideas, and Pern canon.
lifeiscolorful

Healing

Postby lifeiscolorful » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:27 am

Sometimes life gets rough aye? The games are cool and awesome and you are having fun then something IRL bashes you in the stomach. You log on going "Yeah! Time to just not think and PLAY" then something on the game goes topsy-turvy and the refuge you had is suddenly gone.

So.

How do you heal? What is your second step to bring it all back onto an even keel?

poppet

Re: Healing

Postby poppet » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:33 pm

It's interesting that you call it "healing".

I think that when the game ceases to be fun for a player, said player should evaluate themselves.

1. Why do you play the game?
2. What makes this situation on game a deal breaker/an issue for you?
3. What can you do about it?

Ultimately, if you aren't being hypersensitive about issues that may not involve you (the general you as I have no idea who you are personally), or it's overwhelming, then I'm all for the old fashioned 'take a step back and take a break'. I've taken plenty of breaks; the last being a seven year hiatus. It was refreshing. Sometimes it's needed for clarity. It's not worth it, IMO, to get in a place where people are either hateful to you or you're hateful to them. Gaming should be fun and a leisure activity for the most part, not exquisite torture to the point that you need to be "healed". That being said, whoever you are - if you're dealing with game turmoil - I hope your situation gets resolved and you can move on , possibly to a game-free, calm atmosphere or another game that won't stress you out quite as much. :)

And I apologize if some things are curt or scattered, mobile on forums blow, from my device at least.

Quicksilver

Re: Healing

Postby Quicksilver » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:11 am

lifeiscolorful wrote:
How do you heal?

Unfortunately...sometimes you don't.

lifeiscolorful wrote:
What is your second step to bring it all back onto an even keel?

The first is? Wanting to come back? Or actually coming back? I apologize if I sound confused here (Note: I don't know who you are, or what your backstory is, so I don't mean to sound sarcastic).

Mushing is... well... both incredibly difficult and extremely rewarding. It's a social experience regardless of the fiction-writing, regardless that IC does not equal OOC and yadda, yadda, yadda. Despite that, friends are made and, sadly, vice-versa.

You may have done nothing more than watch from a distance as others imploded and things fizzled. But if stuff went kaput, if you were part of that and if you burnt your bridges behind you (with people) in the past, well... people tend to stick around - whether in their original characters or via alts. If they were aware and remember, they'll remember.

There are always two sides to every story, of course, but if the above is the case, then simply breezing back (to the same game) without attempting to reach out and attempt to reconcile things probably won't help you in your healing process. Healing, as you put it, is a two-way street (unless you're coming back to avoid, well, everyone who might have made things go topsy-turvy for you) and if you aren't interested in reaching out to whomever, then well, your question about healing is basically irrelevant.

IMO, what Mavrick said in his (or her) post http://forum.pernmu.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=924 was pretty much the answer to the question you ask (and to be clear, I don't know Mavrick). Reach out, seek reconciliation, forgive others, express your own fault - if any - let it go and start over. You don't see that very often on these games. It's rare and it takes courage because sometimes people aren't willing to accept that.

But sometimes... they ARE.

Reconciliation is a risk. Huh. Just like Real Life -imagine that!!!

I do hope 'healing' happens for you. A sincere good luck to you and please do post how it works out. You might just encourage a badly-needed shift in the mindset of mushing. :)

Return to “Constructive Discussion”