Taking Ownership

General discussions of games, players, ideas, and Pern canon.
lovely

Taking Ownership

Postby lovely » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:25 am

Fallen Caryatid wrote:Because what has been expressed here is discomfort with people who doc playing with people who doc. Yes, a player could create a folder and announce it is there and invite anyone to join. But then it is ultimately the player's folder.

Whereas if staff creates it, announces it and maintains it, they have simply extended the scope of game territory, just as with creating a game wiki for player use, and now it has official weight as a tool of the game itself.

(Note: I started a new thread because this reply turned out to have zero to do with the OP.)

I guess we just have different concepts of usage. For example, to shamelessly use HT: Kira doesn't actively RP. She stopped actively RPing years ago. But it didn't stop being HT when she started being only an executive of the game. I could quit all staffing today, or even quit the game, but HT's wiki is still going to be the official wiki. It's not going to revert to, 'oh, that's Bailey's wiki, that's exclusive to her and her friends'. It doesn't matter who created it or who built it (kudos go to Hannah for all the hard work on that, by the way, I am code delinquent), or who pays for the upkeep, etc, it matters that access continues to be not restricted (kinda humorous since we ARE an ask-to-join wiki :P) and that it is more or less publicly known to exist.

I think this kind of underlines this general thing that people feel all things must start with staff. I wasn't on any staffs when I came back to HT and held game meetings and rabbleroused about bringing Thread back. People who have played for years will tell you, I had advocated going back to a Pass environment every six months, give or take. I kept bringing the conversation up, not as a staff member -- when I started getting into my thesis, I didn't have time to staff -- but I still had time to say, "Man, I really think HT would be better if we reimagined ourselves as a Thread game". I drove people nuts with it. People hated me for it. Literally, I once brought it up on *disc and I think it was... it may have been Pippa, a well-respected player, or -- I think it was someone from Ista. Anyhow, they posted a response to *disc that was literally, "Oh god, not this again, really Rhae? Can't you give it a rest?"

It happened, eventually. And obviously, nobody executed the reboot single-handedly. There came a catalyst point where a ton of different things were happening, different people were ready for something to change. We were able to pull it off, in the end. I am proud to know that my voice -- as a player, not a staff member at that point in time -- and my willingness to contribute as a player by holding game meetings, opening wikis (RIP, reboot wiki, we hardly knew ye), creating channels, engaging discussion on *disc, etc etc, contributed to being a positive part of the reboot.

Holding a staff bit doesn't make a person a leader on the game. Willingness to do things, to listen to people, to create inclusivity -- that's what makes you a leader on the game. You don't have to be staff to be a leader, and people who join staff don't automatically become leaders. If you have an idea that you think will make a difference to the game, say it. I think most games have an open-discussion bboard or mailer or forum or knot or channel or something, where people can get together and brainstorm ideas. If you want to make something happen -- make people talk about it. Things don't happen if the majority of the game can't agree on it, obviously, but you will never find out if you don't make the effort to make it happen, to make people talk about it.

RightMeow

Re: Taking Ownership

Postby RightMeow » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:04 pm

Whereas if staff creates it, announces it and maintains it, they have simply extended the scope of game territory, just as with creating a game wiki for player use, and now it has official weight as a tool of the game itself.

I want to requote the original quote here and mention that staff are just players. A point that's been brought up over and over these last few days. Staff are just players that may not be here next week. Next month. So there isn't much difference between a player bringing up something getting the okay from staff to run it and then... running it. Using HT as an example or hell, anywhere, HRW@NC even.

Player: I want to make a gdocs folder.
Staff Guy: Cool, make it. I'll link the information on the wiki.
Player: *makes it, sends information*
Staff Guy: *puts it up*

I don't know if there's any maintenance for that kind of thing, but I imagine it would be minimal and just require that crazy thing called communication.

Peekaboo

Re: Taking Ownership

Postby Peekaboo » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:52 pm

Someone told me I got name-dropped on Pernmu forums, so I had to take a peek. I found myself attached to a couple of small-ass clutches, then I found this.

This would be once upon a time Pippa.

I'd like to consider myself a bit more diplomatic and eloquent than that quote. Should have name-dropped another Istan. Granted, my memory is getting rather dodgy from the nearly eighteen years of Pern gaming in which I participated. Lot of shit has gone down. My HT name may have been attached to some stupid long post filled with all kinds of reasoning or whatnot that only someone who had been around the block far too many times would have managed. I'd like to consider myself reasonable. Except around asshats. Rawr.

Holding a staff bit doesn't make a person a leader on the game. Willingness to do things, to listen to people, to create inclusivity -- that's what makes you a leader on the game.

That is something that lovely wrote. A million times this. Staff facilitates. Staff organizes. Staff aids in the continuity to the story of the players. Staff is there to keep things running smoothly (hopefully). With all of this, a staff has to be present to do those things. At least, that was always my take on things, as well as my own philosophy. The game is the interactions of the people who play it.

A note on communication: That is probably one of the most difficult aspects of the text environment of the online Moo gaming community, be it articulation, presence, or the fact that there are humans typing on these keys, crafting these convoluted thoughts and ideas.

Play on!

Return to “Constructive Discussion”