How to Impress 101

General discussions of games, players, ideas, and Pern canon.
Aya
Site Admin

How to Impress 101

Postby Aya » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:48 am

Might as well, right? :P

There are people who try and try to Impress on whatever game (and usually metallics) but in general too.

What is the biggest piece of advice you'd give a Search applicant on how to actually succeed at what they want?

cake

Re: How to Impress 101

Postby cake » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:01 pm

Know the game. Know what their policies are, know what they want to see in their (color) riders. Ask staff what they're looking for in their applications (if an app is required for what you want to impress). Be enthusiastic, be interested in the game/area because it's that game, that Weyr, not because you're ticking off box.

Aya
Site Admin

Postby Aya » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:30 pm

Read logs.
Find out what the play style is.
See what kind of characters the game needs and see if that fits within what you like to play.
Play play play.
Then play some more.

skywaterblue

Postby skywaterblue » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:26 pm

Show that you're dedicated. Be a leader among players by helping others with their stories, show you're capable of telling your own. (Yes, logs matter!)

Having good energy and ideas helps, but being dedicated and able to follow through is better.

poppet

Postby poppet » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:36 pm

Basically, the same thing Aya and Skywaterblue said, but I would use the phrase: immerse yourself in the area/game. Read the recent history, be involved in old and ongoing storylines, be the kind of player people want to talk to and play with, be friendly and patient and fair, show interest in hosting events and plots, but ultimately just.. enjoy yourself. You can always tell you does and who doesn't. Don't skim the surface, jump right on in. ;)

aliform

Postby aliform » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:44 pm

Wow, the forums are booming since the last time I looked -- three cheers to Aya for tossing up some constructive topics that are actually really constructive. Anyway.

This thread is great, because when I saw the headline I was thinking, "I would hope it's not that hard these days, you just have to be present and active and engaged, and I sure hope people don't have the same great and now unrealistic expectations they did in 2000," and am glad to just be like \o/ at basically everything here. I've only got one suggestion to add: have a character who is memorable. Not that they have to be the kind of character who has some incredible IC notoriety, just someone who people will recognize because they've seen them in logs and can remember a couple of traits about what that person is like ICly even if none of their characters know them. If people can remember your character, anything about them at all that isn't just their name from seeing you talking on channels, you're doing it right. That definitely comes with what everyone else has said, but I think it's a great metric -- do I know who this character is, even if I haven't played with them ever? Has anything they've done in RP, good or bad, stood out to me enough that I can remember even one thing about them? If I can't I probably don't want them to Impress.

Mostly though: RP RP RP, quantity of RP over quantity of words in your pose, and lots of enthusiasm and involvement -- and flexibility. Have more than one possible goal for your character, allow them to go down many potential paths, and don't be too rigid in what you're willing to play. Go with the flow.

scarlett

Postby scarlett » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:33 pm

I've never really liked this question, mostly because I didn't want someone to put on a fake show just to get a dragon and then immediately go back to whatever their usual shtick is. Plus, as far as I'm concerned, the best way to figure out how to impress anywhere is to spend a cycle on the SearchCo.

All that being said, I don't think I really understand the point anymore. If a person wants to play a rider, make a rider. If a person wants to play a character who is impressing, is there any real reason to deny them a dragon? With the pool of applicants getting thinner and thinner, I'm not sure it's that hard to impress anymore? And if someone is so bad that you don't want to give them a dragon, maybe that's grounds for a conversation, rather than just not impressing them and hoping they get the passive aggressive hint to vamoose.

Personally, I think writing dragons is fun once in a while, but search always seems to derail the more interesting things that people could be playing.

RightMeow

Postby RightMeow » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:19 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with Scarlett. I'm not really sure how this is even a relevant topic to most players. Isn't the way to impress basically just not being bat shit insane?

poppet

Postby poppet » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:55 am

RightMeow wrote:I wholeheartedly agree with Scarlett. I'm not really sure how this is even a relevant topic to most players. Isn't the way to impress basically just not being bat shit insane?

I think this is geared towards the player who continuously tries for gold and doesn't get it, rather than the general populace who try for chromatic. Even bronze isn't as big a deal anymore. People should be able to play whatever color they want - but no one's going to give out gold like it's candy.

And for the people who can't seem to 'get' the gold they want, it's frustrating?

Edit: for tense, because it's early and coffee hasn't settled in yet. Lulz.

RightMeow

Postby RightMeow » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:32 am

I think this is geared towards the player who continuously tries for gold and doesn't get it, rather than the general populace who try for chromatic.

Yeah, I guess that it must be. But even then I'm not too sure how many players are left out there that are making repeat tries for gold anymore. I almost feel as if they've died out, the community is so small and we almost all know each other.

lovely

Postby lovely » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:41 am

Ditto on feeling this is a topic geared gold-centric, as that is the one last holdout for some players, the final frontier. ;)

If you want gold? Go find an area that you like. Make a character that is interesting, that can have meaningful interactions with a variety of players. Play. Develop. Grow. OOCly, don't be a dick. Don't be a suckup. Contribute to the area, and -- mostly -- just be ready for the long haul. Eventually a gold will come up. It may not be tomorrow. Depending on the area it may not even be this year. But if you show a connection with the area, and people don't hate your character or feel that she's milktoast or 2D, you will probably get gold. And if you don't? You'll probably have had a great time anyhow, because if you are doing it right, you aren't entering every RP interaction thinking 'how am I going to use this to politic on how good I am for gold'. You're going to have a rich and storied IC background for your character and you are going to enjoy yourself.

On the flip side, for 'Co's out there, a tidbit of advice: I've seen this habit of leaving gold1/chromatic1 characters standing, though they were incorporated with the group, active, happy. You can't treat a gold1/chr1 candidate like a gold-only candidate, or sit there and go, "Oh, we're not going to impress Foobie, she really wants gold. It doesn't matter that she also listed green as 1, she's never going to play it and it will be a waste of our time." Protip: over the past few years I have written more dragons that have gone ultimately unplayed in one fashion or the other than dragons that have been played. I don't consider any of them a waste of time, because it was fun as hell to write them. To sit back at the end and go, "I made that, and it is lovely." If you aren't Co'ing for the fun of writing dragons without expecting anything in return, I think you are just setting yourself up for heartbreak.

Return to “Constructive Discussion”