Movie Repercussions

General discussions of games, players, ideas, and Pern canon.
Fyren

Movie Repercussions

Postby Fyren » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:56 pm

As, once again, the rumor of a Pern movie surfaces for the umpteenth time, I pose a question for pondering.

What do you think the fallout would be for the few remaining Pern games out there? Is the studio going to ask for all of them to be shut down to protect the license? Are the games going to be flooded with new people? Will there be an official Pern MMORPG where you can hunt down bandits for XP?

skywaterblue

Re: Movie Repercussions

Postby skywaterblue » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:09 am

The bad old days of studios caring what the fandom does out of the sight of mundanes (and who is mundane anymore?) are long gone.

I used to hope the movie would drive some fresh blood back into the fandom - and thus, MU*ing - but now I think MU* is probably by and large too antiquated to attract a lot of newbies and the window to actually build tools to make it easier and more appealing has mostly passed. I'd like to be wrong about that. One lives in hope.

Meg

Postby Meg » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:56 am

As someone who used to play in the X-Men world of MU*, I would say that you /do/ get an influx of players after a movie, Sky. Even some people who are newbies, who were just googling around and happened to find a MU*.

(Though you tend to get this more if, like we did, you have a way to connect to the game from the website instead of relying on them to figure out how to connect with just an address. Because if they just see an address, they won't go further because they won't understand they need to download a client and then plug that in and etc etc.)

This influx is a lot like Search, though. Most of the people coming through will realize that MU* is not for them, or they won't ever really hook and stay. But you do get new people interested in your fandom/games.

skywaterblue

Postby skywaterblue » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:11 pm

Meg wrote:(Though you tend to get this more if, like we did, you have a way to connect to the game from the website instead of relying on them to figure out how to connect with just an address. Because if they just see an address, they won't go further because they won't understand they need to download a client and then plug that in and etc etc.)

I'm a big supporter of web clients, I just have yet to see one that really fulfills what I want to see in one. Banana, the one embedded on the Second Pass website, has come closest so far in terms of being HTML5 and working on most mobile clients...

That's another thing I'm concerned about... we need more mobile access.

Return to “Constructive Discussion”