Where to go when the MU* is gone

For general discussions that don't fit into other forums, particularly non-Pern or non-PernMU related.
Y'lina

Where to go when the MU* is gone

Postby Y'lina » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:04 am

So! A little background: I used to (as in, back in 1999-2004) play on a few Pern and Alt-Pern themed MU*s. Dragonspires, Me'stad, & Rukbat were my top activities. I'm thinking back on those years and wishing I'd kept better logs/savored my time more, because darn, the online landscape has changed so much and I do miss that environment of co-authoring so much!

I had some alts, but Y'lina on Rukbat was by and far my favorite character to play. Started off as an absolute novice, power-posing spechul snowflake, but I'd like to think after a while I evolved into a normal literate human. I did a good job being oblivious as to the OOC politics/drama of MU*ing, and really don't have any negative memories about my years on Rukbat. Everyone was cool, supportive and educational. Sure there were a few characters with whom I locked horns with or avoided ICly, but for the most part it was chill, fantastic times.

I had a hiatus in the middle of my stint there, but really enjoyed taking the mantle of AWLM around 2001, and had a lot of fun on SearchCo. I only got to work with one clutch of weyrlings, before real life kicked in again and things seemed to dissolve. Less people were logging in, so I didn't log in as often, and I'm sad to say I don't really know what happened to Rukbat. It was an awesome place. Wish I'd saved those floppy disks of logs!

Anyway, Pern has always held a soft spot in my heart, and recently I've been digging around the old haunts. I can see things have changed a lot! It's to be expected, but I applaud all those hardworking writers who've been keeping the flame going all these years.

I'm hesitating to rejoin a MU* because being an adult now means I don't have hours a night to write prose and wax poetic. But I still have those itchy fingers, yanno?

I've enjoyed poking around Livejournal for the blogs of various Pern-y characters, and combing through the DA groups of Pern Art. Are there any other hangouts where the more time-strapped fans gather? Any especially good blogs or such to check out?
I will confess, I am tempted to seek out a game which will allow me to spawn my beloved Y'lina, but I know instas aren't always the way to go when jumping back into the fray.

So there you have it. I miss goofing around with friends and dragons through high school, drawing oodles of dragons and plotting shenanigans. Where do y'all satisfy that itch now, now that we're all grown up and have adult responsibilities and such?

Thanks for reading, and any thoughts shared!

Also, for an extra blast from the past, have some of my (arguably terrible) novice Perny art!
Have a VCL archive & an even older Angelfire archive of some requests and dragon rider friends. I completely forgot a lot of this existed, so the cringe factor is extra nostalgic.
Mostly Rukbat folks here, but I believe there are a few pieces of fan art from Pernworld characters. 16-year-old-me was a helluva nerd. : )

-Y'lina/Nenowyn/Nonce/Fhir'ruaidh

GenericPlayer

Re: Where to go when the MU* is gone

Postby GenericPlayer » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:12 pm

Forums may be the place to look - they're much better suited for adult life I find. I just can't find the time to be online for a MU scene that might take hours, but forum RP doesn't require that that. I have a canon colours forum I founded that is still going strong 6 years on (and we're accepting insta riders, too!) If you're interested, I'd be happy to PM a link.

Y'lina

Postby Y'lina » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:01 pm

GenericPlayer wrote:Forums may be the place to look - they're much better suited for adult life I find. I just can't find the time to be online for a MU scene that might take hours, but forum RP doesn't require that that. I have a canon colours forum I founded that is still going strong 6 years on (and we're accepting insta riders, too!) If you're interested, I'd be happy to PM a link.

Absolutely, drop me a link! Can't hurt to take a peek, thanks!

Caribee

Postby Caribee » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:41 pm

Actually, a lot of the Pern mu*s seem to have re-tooled themselves, since so many of us who played as bright-eyed bushy-tailed youngsters in the 90's now have things like jobs and kids and mortgages.
But I'm gonna plug mine. ;)
Second Pass has no activity requirements and we never idledest. The staff (myself included) all have day jobs, which on the one hand means sometimes we're not on as much as we'd like, but we also definitely understand when RL attacks.
IC positions are never tied to OOC duties.
You can read all about us at http://www.2pmush.net/

Zrae

Postby Zrae » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:43 pm

This is a bit of a sidebar, but the problem with forum RPs is they tend to require something like two to three paragraphs, or 300-500 words, per reply, which is equivalent to a pose.

Which is kind of insanely ridiculous, really. Word count requirements? What merit can there be in having to write that much, and how cluttered and hard to read would that scene be? GenericPlayer, if you've a forum that allows a MUSH-style pose length, I would absolutely be all over looking at it. The concept of forum RP appeals; the play style really doesn't.

GenericPlayer

Postby GenericPlayer » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:57 pm

Some have minimum length requirements, some don't. Mine has no minimum requirement - thank my MUing background for that. Happy to PM a link if you'd like to check it out :)

Return to “General Chat”