Are there any active PernMU*s these days?

For general discussions that don't fit into other forums, particularly non-Pern or non-PernMU related.
spoonyspork

Are there any active PernMU*s these days?

Postby spoonyspork » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:32 am

Even semi-active! I have been waxing nostalgic for some Pern RP lately, after going through MIL's old books and finding - and then reading - some of her Pern books. I then brushed up on current canon. The newer stuff seems very.... contrived? But damn did it ever remind me even more of my ol' PernMUSH days! And hey; the Tent Peg thing seems to have been redacted and we have females Impressing blues in books. So there's that. Which is nice.

Anywho, anywhere?

Thanks!

GenericPlayer

Re: Are there any active PernMU*s these days?

Postby GenericPlayer » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:53 am

I had to take a hiatus due to real life kicking in, but the people at Second Pass are super nice and are really great at running plots anyone can get involved in. It's a very mature bunch, and I never experienced any drama in the time I was there, which is always refreshing in the Pern fandom.

Norcon seems to have the same clique problem that plagued PernMUSH, and given some of the people playing there, I'd personally stay well clear of the game.

aliform

Postby aliform » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:36 pm

Due to RL it's also been a long time since I've played there, but I can definitely vouch for Second Pass being awesome.

And if you wanted your more traditional Pern games, PernWorld and Harper's Tale are also pretty damn alive and kicking! It can depend on the area (especially with PW, as not every area is in fact alive and kicking, but some of them are and definitely outshining the reputation PW's gotten in terms of RP and plot quality - HT's two areas seem to be equally strong but sometimes in different departments) but there's pretty much play to be had in most any timezone and for just about any style and goal of RP across those games.

I can, sadly, also vouch for the fact that while NC looks active, some of its staff are outrageously shady and untrustworthy and you'd be best off not trusting them unless you're already in the inner circle of the game's queen bees.

tl;dr go play on 2P, HT or PW. Or two. Or all three. Don't play on NC.

spoonyspork

Postby spoonyspork » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:32 am

Thanks guys! I was checking out HT yesterday and may try there. I like the sound of the reboot plot, and way back when did enjoy helping friends with stuff there, though I never played there as a regular (and always meant to!).

PW I may try as well, though I *did* play there for a while and quit due to disproportionate twink to quality RP ratio. Not that I'm the most stellar RPer, but some stuff was just.... bad.

Second Pass looks interesting, but I've never seen more than two or three people logged on.

Is NC run by the same people as SC? Kinda sounds like it.

I have to say, I'm pretty sad to see PernMUSH is completely gone. Grew up there, from awkward pre-teen to the birth of my child. Kind of just expected it to always be there. :/

Jonathan

Postby Jonathan » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:07 am

You and me both, spoonyspork. I'm also searching for good old fashioned PernMU ala the OLD PernMush.

Sadly I didn't find this forum before I went to NC and ugh. I'll wander back to PernWorld then... maybe check out HT.

aliform

Postby aliform » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:03 pm

The quality of RP on PW definitely depends on what area you're dealing with. I don't want to say anything negative about anyone on a forum, but I would say that if one area doesn't float your boat, try another -- it's more a series of connected smaller games that sometimes interact, with flavor and style across areas being VASTLY different. Some are amazing, some are meh, some are in between, and it probably depends at least in part on personal taste.

poppet

Postby poppet » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:20 pm

aliform wrote:...some of its staff are outrageously shady and untrustworthy and you'd be best off not trusting them unless you're already in the inner circle of the game's queen bees.

aliform wrote:I don't want to say anything negative about anyone on a forum...

Can't make up your mind?

Tyber

Postby Tyber » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:47 pm

Just wanted to pop on and say that yeah, Second Pass is definitely still going. But I know from the outside it can look pretty dead. We've ended up in an unfortunate loop. A lot of people got slammed with RL stuff at the same time, including the staff, so things got very quiet. So new people who had joined up stopped logging in, understandably, because nothing was happening. Now the staff is back and while some of us are still dealing with RL things (my new work schedule makes it hard to RP as much as I used to :( ), we're still trying to get on when we can and get things going. But the group has become small now because of that lull, so people peek in and think we're not very active so they don't join. We want to be active, but we need more people to help create more activity so more people see that we're active but we don't look very active so people don't join... etc. Alas, a loop!

So yeah, I just wanted to say we are here, we want to play, the staff loves coordinating with players to create plotlines, everyone is really nice and it's a super low drama place. As someone who really loves this game, I just ask the community to give us a chance and have patience while we try to get things rolling again. :)

Meg

Postby Meg » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:59 am

Tyber wrote:the staff loves coordinating with players to create plotlines

I'm going to be honest and throw this out there: It depends. Staff allowed me to run some awesome TPs in my time there. But then slammed on a couple that people I knew wanted to run one (and me once) with very preventative questions and nitpicking. They were inconsistent with the way they policied anything and let one player hog all of the spotlight a lot of the time without any real ICC. Ended up driving off a lot of their own playerbase.

To be honest, every game listed here has its flaws. Not just NC. Like aliform said, I would try them until you find what you like, not just areas but games. They've all basically been listed.

Caribee

Postby Caribee » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:24 pm

Definitely do come check out Second Pass! As Tyber said, the staff experienced a spate of baby/work/medical downtime but we're back and ready to play. Our active hours during weekdays right now tend to be 2 pm - 6 pm EST, but I try to be on in my staffing capacity until about 10 pm EST. You can find out everything you need to know at our website, http://www.2pmush.net/.
Hope to see some new folks about!

Cari

lifeiscolorful

Postby lifeiscolorful » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:39 pm

If you spread out on PernWorld you can totally find some pretty awesome stuff to do there. Igen's brand new and so has a lot of that 'just starting out' energy going with it. Fort always has something going on, though sometimes it can feel hard to get into. Just talk to people and it'll open way up.

HT is pretty good too. Both areas have super different flavors. Right now Southern is in a bit of a lull because of the Holidays, but Igen is red hot and moving. What people said up there is totally true- a lot of different people at different timezones. If you can get them out of their weyrs (people respond really well to being asked for RP in pages, though not always do they respond if you ask on the main channels) you'll almost always have someone to RP with.

heysparky

Postby heysparky » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:22 pm

Come check out HT! Hit me up on T'ral (Southern) or F'in (Igen), I promise to page spam you with enthusiasm.

Return to “General Chat”