Couple of Current Game Reviews

For general discussions that don't fit into other forums, particularly non-Pern or non-PernMU related.
Search

Couple of Current Game Reviews

Postby Search » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:24 pm

Hello.

I've looked at the game review section, however there aren't comments on most.

I'm currently coming back to the MUSHing scene and I'm trying to decide what game to pursue. I only really have time to dedicate to one game, so the age old "join them all!" won't really work lol.

Now, I'm currently finishing up the series (I waited FOREVER), but I'm trying to decide between 3 games: PernWorld, Harper's Tale, and Dragon's Fire.

Does anyone have any relevant information for any of these games? I'm aware that PernWorld has a different setting, in that AIVAS exists. Has anyone experienced that type of game? Does it hold the same magic?

Basically, what I'm trying to say is,

HELP!

Thank you.

wyrenyth

Re: Couple of Current Game Reviews

Postby wyrenyth » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:48 pm

[redacted]
Last edited by wyrenyth on Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TouchMeNot

Postby TouchMeNot » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:55 am

Welcome back to MUSHing! It's been refreshing to see a lot of older players coming back, even if it's just to see if stuff is still kicking. :D

All three games you are looking at have pros and cons, so it really circles around what you are looking for IN a game, outside of basic activity. I play/have played recently on all three, so I'll try to break them down the best I can!

Pernworld: As wyrenyth stated, PernWorld is a good beginner's game. So long as you stay outside of the political aspect of the game (which really only matters to staff members or goldriders), it's a very good game. Evenings are when the game is hopping the most, with probably at least a scene per area. The Weyrs are really the only active places, right now with Fort being in Search. Ista has a small, but dedicated core of players always looks for RP, while Xanadu just had a leadership change so there is some excitement happening over there. Western is... there (sorry Western people, I have no idea wtf is going on in your Weyr). During the day there isn't much RP to be had, but a good amount of channel chat since some people log on from work and what not. You'll run into more... well, newbiesh RPers on PW, which can be good or bad. That isn't to say there aren't some very amazing RPers on the game, cause there are, but the trend towards the new players is there and there is everything that comes with that.

As far as if there is any magic around PW due to their setting? It is generally ignored in many areas. There are cell phones and computers on PW, and a lot of people just tend to balk at that (myself included!) and prefer to stick towards normal Pern, with a twinge of technology. Fort embraces the technology the most, I believe! So that'd be a good starting place if you have an interest of Pern with a twist.

The downside to PernWorld is that each Weyr generally exists independently of each other. Due to a lot of political issues in the past, Weyrwoman hating Weyrwoman, the Weyrs do NOT really interact with each other. That's not to say they can't... they just don't. It's almost like each Weyr is a game by itself, and each new person who logs on is a prize to be won for an area. There is hope that with many of us now being and acting like adults, this'll change soon.

Harper's Tale: I'm admittedly biased about this game, since it's my #1. That being said, wyrenyth was again correct in saying that HT tends to be more serious and gritty. It does tend to call upon more experienced players, however, we get our fair share of new players as well and do try to make them feel at ease. Ista Weyr is a great place to go for new players, due to a more relaxing atmosphere, while High Reaches Weyr is for players looking to really jump in with both feet and GO. Both Weyrs are rather active, at least a few scenes a night, with a few during the day for us daytime players as well! There is a TP going on now at HRW that's been fun and has been effecting all of Pern in some form. Ista Weyr is currently in the middle of their search cycle, with HRW's going to be going on in the middle of the summer. There is currently no Thread due to interval, however there are always discussions going on about when to bring it back. Hopefully sooner rather than later. :D While crafts and holds are a little slow in comparison to the Weyrs, the Traders are very active, as are the Harpers! And while some of the other crafts (Dolphineers, Weavers, Healers, Herders, Smiths) aren't as active, they have dedicated staffers just waiting for new players. Plus there is always the ability to be a crafter stationed at a Weyr, if that's preferred.

Dragon's Fire: This is the one game I know about the least, so a more recent player should really come in and talk more than me. I believe DF is the ONLY game at the moment that has Thread. So big score in their favor there, if that is what you are looking for! They have two Weyrs, Fort Weyr and Ista Weyr. Fort, admittedly, seems a little less active than Ista, but both have some great players. I'd put this game in between PW and HT as far as new player friendly. In my opinion, it has a smaller player base than both HT and PW, but tends to be very TP driven, with a few very dedicated players. A lot of people who play on DF, also play on either PW or HT. Tends to be more of an evening game, so far as more players are on then and that's where the majority of RP tends to happen. I'm a daytime player and sadly couldn't get many scenes in (which is no one's fault, people have to be at work!) so it just wasn't the game for me for only that reason. Otherwise, everyone is really nice, the RP is wonderful. I have no idea, what so ever, as to who is in Search or about to be or whatever. :D

Hopefully that helps a little! Or maybe not. While there is some talk that the Pern is a dying theme, we seem to have a pretty steady player base on all games at the moment, with some older players coming back recently! It's actually increased in activity in my opinion in the last year or so and RP has been easier to find. All Pern games have seemed to shift in gear away from the high school / undergrad college student towards those going on for even higher education and adults in the midst of their careers / parenthood who just want a little time to play and decompress. There's a much more mature attitude now a days, with a more laid back vibe than even a few years ago.

It's a really good time to get back into the game! :D

Search

Postby Search » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:14 pm

To both of you: thank you so much for responding. I really appreciate you taking the time to guide me as I would rather find out the "background" of the games before joining one and then eventually find out I was looking for something else.

Now, I don't consider myself a complete newbie as far as Pern MUSHes go, but on the same token I am not very experienced by FAR relative to many other players. I've played on PernMUSH for about 2 years before RL totally taking over and eliminating my ability to continue.

However, I'm not sure I'd like the whole theme of PernWorld, just because Pern has the magic it has without the feel of today's world. I think I play in the world of Pern to get away from RL for an hour (or so), not be reminded of it.

I've visiting both Harper's Tale and DragonsFire. The people on DF were so friendly and welcoming, which was amazing. HT was different, but at it's size it's completely expected. The only thing I'm worried about as far as DF goes is that I likely won't be as active as the 'tight group' and I don't want to become a complete outcast considering that the playerbase is a lot smaller.

On the other hand I don't want to become a burden in a particular area within HT due to it being a more experienced game.

Basically, I'm looking for another Pern experience where I can jump on and grab RP mostly at Est night time.

I know that I'm basically vomiting in this thread, but, I guess I'm not entirely sure of what I want atm.

aliform

Postby aliform » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:22 pm

You might be interested in Second Pass? I think there are players in basically every US timezone, Europe and Australia. Big spread out of active times. I've heard good things about NorCon, too.

Idath

Postby Idath » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:22 pm

Search wrote: The only thing I'm worried about as far as DF goes is that I likely won't be as active as the 'tight group' and I don't want to become a complete outcast considering that the playerbase is a lot smaller.

If you really like DF for other reasons please don't let that one stop you. Quantity isn't so important as making an honest effort to roleplay when you can.
"Sorry to disappoint, but I am the author neither of 'Mein Kampf' nor of 'The Protocols of the Elders of Zion.' I am only, for the last 60 years, an anti-imbecile of the first order." -Siné

Pixie

Postby Pixie » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:52 am

The difference between DF and a lot of games is inclusiveness. If you have a positive mental attitude, are open to asking for RP on channel, and participate when available, then you will fit perfectly into the game (and by 'you' I mean anyone instead of only the poster, Search). Our playerbase may be smaller, but we are Active. Sure, there are pros and cons about each game, specific areas, and the people who make up these games, but since returning to DF 3-4 years ago, the game has evolved into a place where, as I repeat a point stated above, inclusiveness is key.

Xan

Postby Xan » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:47 pm

I don't know much about HT, but re DF:

The game seems to be inclined towards melodrama. Or, at least, reaches that way on a regular basis. There are thirteen turn old twins! One of whom sleeps around! And goes all 'tee hee, who can I try and sleep with' OOC! And then their brother comes to (drag them home? Not sure) and the Weyrwoman hits him!

If you see where I'm going.

I'm not saying here that this is evil and wrong (though I am personally squicked by thirteen year old bedhoppers); it's just something to keep in mind, I suppose? Not all games are for everyone, and I've obviously discovered that this one isn't for me, but that doesn't make it a bad game that no one should play it. YMMV, etc.

skywaterblue

Postby skywaterblue » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:11 pm

This is a really interesting thread. I hope some of you decide to post reviews - the review board is really empty.

Pixie

Postby Pixie » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:28 pm

Xan wrote:I don't know much about HT, but re DF:

The game seems to be inclined towards melodrama. Or, at least, reaches that way on a regular basis. There are thirteen turn old twins! One of whom sleeps around! And goes all 'tee hee, who can I try and sleep with' OOC! And then their brother comes to (drag them home? Not sure) and the Weyrwoman hits him!

If you see where I'm going.

I'm not saying here that this is evil and wrong (though I am personally squicked by thirteen year old bedhoppers); it's just something to keep in mind, I suppose? Not all games are for everyone, and I've obviously discovered that this one isn't for me, but that doesn't make it a bad game that no one should play it. YMMV, etc.

You are judging DF based by completely new people to the game. These are people that just joined within the last couple of weeks to one of them just creating that day, I believe. I haven't seen the log though. Honestly, drama is the added spice to our character's life -otherwise, you've just got klah-sipping and ledge-sitters. Granted, I'm not the biggest fan of over-the-top sorts of things, but I'll happily encourage everyone their chance in the drama limelight. I'm curious though, saying that the game inclines towards melodrama on a regular basis, and stating that you have discovered that the game isn't for you... how long have you been playing with us?

Salt

Postby Salt » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:48 pm

I do like to hear opinions, and take the one on DF to heart. I do have to impute two small things. First, a single overthetop RP does not reflect the whole of the game. There is a wide variety of RP to be had on DF. It's what I love about the game so much beyond the fact it's so darn friendly.

Second - heck, now I can't remember. Above all, DF is a friendly family style game. We have drama, we have klah sipping, we have large TPs, small TPs, background TPs that add flavor to RP, and we're always open to suggestions. Mostly we just love to RP with anyone and everyone. Come on over to anyone interested in any of the above!

TouchMeNot

Postby TouchMeNot » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:26 pm

I can say with all sincerity you would never be seen as a burden on HT. While the game does seem to trend towards more experienced players, we have had many older players returning recently, getting their feet wet all over again. People are always willing to RP with new and old players. While many of us have friends we enjoy scenes with, most players will RP with anybody!

So don't let the size or anything make you too worried! Any area on HT would be thrilled to have you join and will do all they can to make you feel welcome!

No matter which you pick, DF and HT are both good games! And heck, if you start playing one, and it just doesn't jive with you, you can always try the other instead!

Good luck!

Xan

Postby Xan » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:49 pm

Pixie wrote:You are judging DF based by completely new people to the game.

No, I'm not.

I was around before the aforementioned twins; I mentioned them only as an example.

DF wasn't for me. That doesn't mean I think it's a bad game, or that everyone on it sucks. I had a lot of good RP. In the end, however, it didn't work out for me. We don't all have to enjoy chocolate ice cream. Search asked for thoughts on the three games, and I mentioned the ones I had. That's it. That's all. I'm really glad that other people enjoy the game. End of comment.

Pixie

Postby Pixie » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:25 pm

Xan wrote:
Pixie wrote:You are judging DF based by completely new people to the game.

No, I'm not.

I was around before the aforementioned twins; I mentioned them only as an example.

DF wasn't for me. That doesn't mean I think it's a bad game, or that everyone on it sucks. I had a lot of good RP. In the end, however, it didn't work out for me. We don't all have to enjoy chocolate ice cream. Search asked for thoughts on the three games, and I mentioned the ones I had. That's it. That's all. I'm really glad that other people enjoy the game. End of comment.

No problem. I appreciate your candor. I simply wanted to be sure judgments weren't being rushed because of some new peeps to the game, which was what your post primarily concerned; there is often a history of such comments no matter the game or area. We are always looking for ways to improve the fun and the experience for those on DF, and those looking to join. Seriously, we just want to play! I won't lie though, I really love chocolate ice cream. It'll probably be my doom.

wyrenyth

Postby wyrenyth » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:47 pm

[redacted]
Last edited by wyrenyth on Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rhioka

Postby rhioka » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:21 am

To Wyrenyth, Concerning DF, the issue with the twins was a delicate matter that needed to be handled by staff. People on either side (those who were for or against the concept) stood to be offended or upset. All I'm saying is, before you judge how a game handles the issue and tell others about an isolated incident , give the game a chance to actually handle it. No one wants anyone else to feel unwelcome or insulted on a game designed for fun.

pancake

Postby pancake » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:24 am

This is an old thread, but I wanted to add something on.

While I've never personally played on Harper's Tale, my friend absolutely loves it just short of one or two players.

Pernworld, as it stands today, isn't really where I go for deep, interesting roleplay, though. You can find some decent players, but it can take some work to find them. That said, PW is very friendly, by and large. They are quite heavy on social, fluffy RP. Some people like that. :3

Dragon's Fire is a game I know literally nothing about. :x

Return to “General Chat”