Vista and Cilents

For general discussions that don't fit into other forums, particularly non-Pern or non-PernMU related.
Lexiana

Vista and Cilents

Postby Lexiana » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:11 pm

Okay, I use to run SimpleMU but everything I turn it off, I can't get it to work again. Does anyone have a client that works well with Vista?

Minion

Re: Vista and Cilents

Postby Minion » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:26 pm

What version of Vista are you using?

And what have you tried to do to fix the problems? There is a way to get vista and simplemu to get along. I've been using it on two vista machines for awhile now and have had no problems other than a funky install to weird place and not find it the first time I loaded it onto the one machine. Do you run it as an administrator? That works for a lot of people.

Otherwise if you scroll through this thread: http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=7844 there are suggestions offered for fixing the issue.

I have, as you can see, no suggestions on other mush clients. I bought simplemu awhile ago and have never tried anything else. Good luck!

Lexiana

Postby Lexiana » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:49 pm

Maybe that is my issue. I close it and then try to use the shortcut and it tells me that exe file isn't there. I will go search my comp. Thanks.

BrownieBoy

Postby BrownieBoy » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:57 pm

I had a lot of problems with SimpleMU and Vista. Installing Service Pack 1 for Vista fixed them all. But, it didn't get pushed out to me automatically through Windows Updates. I had to go to the website and get it manually because apparently I lacked some other thing that had to be updated before I could get it. It was a royal pain in the ass but well, it fixed the problems. Good luck.
Brownieboy
Founder, Coalition for Less-Childish Flamewars

==================================

Who's the greatest brownrider you ever saw? 8-)
You're lookin' at him!

Mayhem

Postby Mayhem » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:30 pm

Apologies for necroing a super old topic, but it's relevant. Does anyone use Win7 and SimpleMU?

I try to install it, but it gets stuck on "searching for existing versions" part of the installation. I remember this step taking a long time to install before, but I can let it sit there for 10 minutes or more and it still does nothing. :/

Arisvath

Postby Arisvath » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:10 am

I use Win7 and SimpleMu* at work, and haven't had any problems whatsoever.

Though, come to think of it, I run it off a usb key, and installed it onto there when I was still running XP, so that might explain my lack of issues.

(That may, therefore, be an option for you?)

Moriana

Postby Moriana » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:11 am

I think my SO was having the same problem when he first installed Windows 7, so he installed SimpleMU on another PC and just copied the entire folder over to his Windows 7 PC. SimpleMU doesn't need any registry keys to run, so it works just fine now. I've run it off a USB drive on a number of occasions, and that usually works well, too.

Liadan

Postby Liadan » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:50 pm

Sometimes, on Win7, you have to select 'Run As Admin' every time for SimpleMU. I'm not sure why this is, but it always works for me without fail.

pillow-fight

Postby pillow-fight » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:52 pm

When you get stuck on the Searching for Older Versions thing, that's because in the windows old section of your harddrive that 7 sectioned off during installation has your old copy of SimpleMU still there. If you start your computer in Safe Mode and go in to that part of your hard drive, you can delete it and the new installation should finish fine.

Another note on that, however, is that you need to run SimpleMU in Compatability Mode for Windows XP (I believe that Service Pack 3 should be fine) which you can do by right clicking on the icon in the start bar and going to Properties. :)

Moriana

Postby Moriana » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:30 am

Liadan wrote:Sometimes, on Win7, you have to select 'Run As Admin' every time for SimpleMU. I'm not sure why this is, but it always works for me without fail.

You can set any program to launch as an Admin via the Properties menu, so that you don't have to select the Run as Admin option each time. This does, of course, require you to have admin powers on the computer - which most people do not if they happen to be connecting from work.

Return to “General Chat”