OT Peeves

For general discussions that don't fit into other forums, particularly non-Pern or non-PernMU related.
firstsight

OT Peeves

Postby firstsight » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:32 pm

Because... I have a peeve and I want to express it but I didn't want to clutter up RVF.

My new peeve for things NOT PERN iiiis...

When posting a generally reflective post, else forum, (off-topic even!) about things that you've learned during the last "bad mistake" you've made... and -asking for what other people may have done differently to handle the situation better- and then having 8-10 people coming down on you for "knowing it all". WTF?!
Last edited by firstsight on Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mavrick

Re: OT Peeves

Postby Mavrick » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:31 pm

Non-Pern Peeve: People who wait till the last minute to try and cut in front of you in a construction zone to avoid hitting the cones and barrels. Look, guy who doesnt know how to read the 'merge left here' sign, its not my job to slow down for you, and i hope you get a fine from a cop because your the douche who just has to get in front of me.
RIP: Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010)
Mavrick @ HT (1995-2001)
Roland, Corwin @ HT (2006-2009)

Ardeth

Postby Ardeth » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:17 pm

klahsipper wrote:And the REAL peeve is... they were asking me that because I noted that I was 21, and female, in my post, on a board that's predominantly middle-aged, and the most vocal participants on said board are male. It was about the car industry (that I work in), and they are car people.
Happens to my housemate, who is 23, female, and frequents a car forum.

She also gets shit in RL when she works 'guy' jobs. Not all men are like this, nor even most, but there's a certain subset of the car fanatic/construction/etc type that tends to freak out around car-savvy young women.

In short, they're wankers.

polka

Postby polka » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:49 am

I also got that type of reaction when I was working car sales for Chevrolet (I'm 19 and female) around the much older male workers. It sucks, but sometimes you just have to suck it up and roll with the punches.

My peeve!: People stealing all of my food out of the refrigerator. Kudos points to it being the SO's parents half the time.

Idath

Postby Idath » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:46 pm

Cyclists, on roads with no shoulders, many curves, and long grass, who take up whole lanes inside of going single file. I realize this is a tourist spot, but it shouldn't be a death one.
"Sorry to disappoint, but I am the author neither of 'Mein Kampf' nor of 'The Protocols of the Elders of Zion.' I am only, for the last 60 years, an anti-imbecile of the first order." -Siné

Gepard

Postby Gepard » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:23 pm

This is a general forum peeve - Read the forum before posting! I'm reading a game forum and the game has some issues there have to be 7 topics about the issue and still people log on and post new topics asking about the issue. Spend 5 minutes, read the topic and you'll have your answer.

Mayhem

Postby Mayhem » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:05 am

Idath wrote:Cyclists, on roads with no shoulders, many curves, and long grass, who take up whole lanes inside of going single file. I realize this is a tourist spot, but it shouldn't be a death one.

YES. THIS. I have a serious urge to just run them over. I'm pretty sick of entitlement tourists. This is also why my island doesn't have a cellphone tower, because the tourists kept bitching about how it would ruiiiiin theeee viiiiiew.

Also, to the stupid painter who keeps sitting in the middle of the goddamn road on a narrow street with the big fucking easel, MOVE TO THE GRASS. And stop painting in the rain, you moron! One of these days, someone is going to hit you coming around that corner, and I'm not going to feel that bad about it.

scarlett

Postby scarlett » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:09 pm

I'm crying a wee little tear for Mayhem, living on an island with spectacular views. ;) So jealous!

Mayhem

Postby Mayhem » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:56 am

scarlett wrote:I'm crying a wee little tear for Mayhem, living on an island with spectacular views. ;) So jealous!

Yeah, you're totally jealous of the gas and grocery prices being almost 50% higher than the mainland, rarely being able to even get off the island because the stupid summer people are clogging the ferry, being unable to get DSL because "all the circuits are tied up" buy the dumb tourists, and having a friend you drove 2,000 miles to see be a total hobag to you and not have the decency to try and be a little friendly because this is a tiny island...

It IS pretty, but it only goes so far. ;)

Yay for more peeves!

firstsight

Postby firstsight » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:14 am

And you piece-of-shit drivers who "merge" into a 75mph avg road when the signs says yield and you're going 45mph and just pull out in front of people who *don't* have *anyone* behind them? Yeah. I don't have anything to say to you.

/peeve.
Last edited by firstsight on Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mavrick

Postby Mavrick » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:16 pm

klahsipper wrote:And you piece-of-shit drivers who "merge" into a 75mph avg road when the signs says yield and you're going 45mph and just pull out in front of people who *don't* have *anyone* behind them? Yeah. I don't have anything to say to you.

Ha ha. Minimum freeway speeds are, generally speaking, 40mph. However I rather have someone jump out onto the freeway at 40mph then to slow down for someone who slams on the brakes and causes backup because they cant figure out that the truck behind them is going the same speed as they are. Anyways, most people who are good drivers will change lanes for someone coming onto the freeway if they can.
RIP: Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010)
Mavrick @ HT (1995-2001)
Roland, Corwin @ HT (2006-2009)

FireWoman

Postby FireWoman » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:12 pm

OTP: Littering.

Plain and simple, I can't stand it when people think the world is their dumping ground. In cities, ok, I get it, because you got people who just don't care and other people who are hired to clean up after them.

But what really irks me is when these City folk come into the country for a 'getaway' from the City life but still trash it regardless! Seeing people dump bags of garbage out of their car window on some back country road makes me go into a fit of rage. I even chased someone down when I saw them throwing garbage out - the guy was shaking in his boots I tell you. Hah.

People, use a garbage can! Keep it in your car until you can find one! The side of the hiway is not your garbage can! The forest is not where you dispose of waste! Yes, that bag of poo you just hucked out the window onto some farmer's field will come back to haunt you!

So the next time you have the urge to throw a piece of paper out the window, remember there could be some crazy person behind you! (Or it could be the cops to give you a hefty fine)...
"T-t-t-t-twistin like a flame in a slow dance..." -The Cult

polka

Postby polka » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:51 am

My current peeve: the SO's mom yelling at me and my SO about various things while she sits around the house all day, unemployed. Not to mention, I had been house-sitting and doing all the stuff that they didn't want to do (take their stupid eBay packages to the post office, kill all the ants in the house) while the whole family was gallivanting about Hawaii. I work more hours in a week any one of them has in the past two months, yet the SO's mom feels that she still has reason to think she's better than just about everyone else. I'm not very lenient when it comes to people being 'worried' about their upcoming bankruptcy when they all refuse to get jobs to support themselves (outside of their wacky independent business ventures -- washing windows, wth?).

Sorry if this is rambling, it totally just came up.

Toe

Postby Toe » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:51 am

I'm going to trot back a few to the starting peeve and those surrounding...

I want to say that part of that (not all of it, car-guys can be total jerks) is also just the male pattern of communication. Men are far more status oriented than women are in their conversation. So when a guy tells you what you 'did wrong' or 'this is how you should have done it' or otherwise imparts something information-oriented and comes off seeming like a know it all or insensitive, that's not always the case. Infact this particular factor is why I personally have a hard time making female friends unless they've have a bajillion brothers, or been raised by their dad's too, or something similar... I talk like a guy. So when other gals expect a sensitive female reaction and I don't give it to them, they think I'm a bitch, lol... and really, well, been raised by my father since I was 13 and had almost all guy friends? I 'speak' male, lol.

In a way I guess that reply is a peeve for me too. Kinda sick of people... well, gals mostly... reading into things too far. *points up* like that... don't think I'm trying to be important or something. Just imparting information... I like imparting information... also like gleaning it... I'm not out to piss people off but being smarter than them or something stupid like that.

ta da!
-"wouldn't that be scary... little Teolalies and Lalieteos running around"
-"Those sound like viruses."
-"... indeed."

firstsight

Postby firstsight » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:25 am

Toe, I ain't gonna lie, I couldn't follow your reply all that well (sinus medicine f's with my head...) So if this is redundant, I apologize. ;p

The point of the matter regarding the whole situation, I suppose, was that I speaking "like a man" instead of "like a girl" and it unsettled them. I told the situation that I was in with no remorse, said /what mistakes I made/, and then what I had done to correct them, and how the end result, I believed, was a good one. But I asked them, if they had been in that situation-- since many of them have much more experience in life in total than I do-- what they would have done. It wasn't sarcastic. I wasn't being sardonic. I was just asking what else I could have done, so if I find myself in a situation similar to it in the future, I can troubleshoot my way through it with more than just my prior experience in it.

And I guess they took offense at a girl (I'm probably young enough to be some of their daughters) with more status/gets paid more money/etc etc. I deliberately had not said anything on this forum prior, regarding my sex or age, but unfortunately it was part and parcel of the story.

I dunno. I know how to handle car guys, typically. I know more than most of them-- I work in a service department, and I was raised by car people. I'm marrying a finance director. It's not a big deal to me; it's just my career. It's not my life. I was just stung, I guess, because I came to them "like a guy" and they treated me like a girl... because trust me, a guy would not have had the responses that I had.

It hurt. That's all. I'm over it now. And I know better than to do something like that again. They taught me not to trust anyone but my friends with stuff like that, even though it makes me twitch to say it. Oh well. ;)

PS-- regarding people going into bankrupcy/hardship times and *not willing to get a job*... GOD do I feel for anyone having to put up with people like that. I know exactly how frustrating it gets. -.- They're all just whiny bitches, who expect a handout and have never had to stand on their own feet.

Toe

Postby Toe » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:51 pm

Yeah... I see what you're saying then. They were just being asses... happens. Still... don't let that effect your trust. Just write them off as morons unworthy of your time ;) OR worthy of you taking their advice because clearly they don't have enough confidence in themselves.
-"... indeed."

GenericPlayer

Postby GenericPlayer » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:15 pm

People who phone you when you're busy, you tell them you're busy, and they carry on talking.

Fucking hell.

Worst is when they're people who talk at you and all you can do is go 'yeah' and 'mmhmm'. And they phone you every day. About the same thing. For at least an hour every time. Leave me alone. I hate talking on the phone at the best of times, but when I'm in the middle of something and I've told you that and you carry on as if I haven't said anything? No, that's not how it works.

I needed to vent that. I feel better now :)

Toe

Postby Toe » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:47 pm

Mm... I have one phone related that I've gotten rather annoyed with recently...

When you want an idea of pricing on something (insurance, shipping, etc) and they want your contact information for quote... so they can either harass you on the phone later after you've already decided what you're going to do, or make you resend them your information, or make you call them for anything at all. Email isn't so bad. It's when they want your phone number that I just want to smack them. The whole point of checking online was so that it was easy, contact free, and gave you an idea of things before you got heavily involved.

Bleh...
-"... indeed."

wyrenyth

Postby wyrenyth » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:59 am

[redacted]
Last edited by wyrenyth on Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moriana

Postby Moriana » Mon May 03, 2010 7:52 am

Totally necroing this thread because I don't see any reason to make a new one.

Why under the sun would anyone walk their dog, jog, etc, IN THE STREET, when there is a perfectly good sidewalk five feet off the side of the road, with a nice, grazzy berm that is not part of someone's yard? Seriously, folks, don't give me dirty looks when you walk around the end of a car/around a curve in the road/whatever and I have to swerve to not hit you. You don't belong in the street, you nutjobs! Stay on the fucking sidewalk! The street is for cars, motorcycles and bicycles. NOT pedestrians!

*grumbles* This is probably the hundredth time I've had to try to not smash some idiot who has decided to act like they have a right to be walking in the road. Closest I've come to actually hitting a pedestrian, ever. And I'm sure they would have found some way to try and blame me for their dumb ass being in the road where they don't belong.

Return to “General Chat”